
After spending the last two nights planning the next six weeks of world history and thinking about where we should be right now on our history time-line and where I still want to go, I've made the decision to veer off on a long bunny trail through the next 1000 years of the Classical World to concentrate a little more heavily on guys like Homer, Pythagoras, Socrates, Hippocrates, Plato, Aristotle, Herodotus, Alexander the Great and the book of Daniel. That's only half of my list.
We were suppose to be finishing up the fall of Rome this month but we are just getting started with the period pertaining to the early settlements in Greece and the Persian Empire. This is the first year I've really tried to weave Biblical history into our studies so that my children can see how closely secular history matches Scripture and I don't want to rush through this part. It's also worthy to mention that the library that services our community has some wonderful books that have come into print within the last ten years that make exposing my children to the early philosophers and generals in the classical period much more enjoyable.
But here I am again after eight years of homeschooling, knowing even now how easy it is to lose my peace of mind with one quick glance through a Sonlight catalog that shows completion of one year of world history beginning with the period of creation and ending with the reformation, and I can feel my heart racing, since by SL's standards, I should be getting ready to start world exploration in a month or two. Yep, I'm just a mere 2000 years behind schedule.
That visual really doesn't make me feel good at all. So I'm grateful for Scripture that confirms our unique and individual journey as I consider our homeschooling paths.
Every path he guides us on is fragrant with his loving-kindness and his truth.
Psalm 25:10
THE LIVING BIBLE
2 comments:
I think your plan sounds great! That's the fun (and challenge!) of hsing, finding what works at the time, constantly tweaking.
And hey, this is why, even though SL is a great program, you don't choose to use it--it's not the right fit for you at this time. :)
Um. YUCK! Poor babies, ALL of you. Blech, blech!
Post a Comment