TEA FOR YOU AND ME

TEA FOR YOU AND ME
THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION - PART II

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Operation Descaling

"The tube that brings water to the main filter can become clogged by hard water deposits (a buildup of calcium, magnesium, and other metals). This can slow or stop water flow through the machine's water line and can often lead to blockage. Increasing water flow through the main filter will reduce the risk of future blockages."

It was determined by the appliance parts manager that while Mr. Espresso didn't need bypass surgery, he was definitely in need of an overhaul of sorts.

That's strange. Mr. Espresso never said anything to me about the filter cap, the gasket, the boiler outlet, or any of those other components when we were first dating. He certainly kept all of his expenditures, particularly those high cost commercial cleaners, a secret from me. I can't help but wonder if there is anything else he hasn't told me. I'm sure there's a simple explanation for all of this.

After dismantling two of his filters and removing all of his clogs, I proceeded to fill his tank with cleaning solution. The instructions read:

1. Turn the selector knob to the pour position until half the solution has drained from the tank.

2. Interrupt the flow by rotating the switch to the off position.

I knew he wasn't going to like this...at all. I don't have to wonder why descaling isn't on his list of priorities.

3. Wait 15 minutes, then let the rest of the solution in the tank drain out.

Yep, I probably wouldn't have mentioned it to me either.

The good news: Mr. Espresso is back on his feet again, feeling better than ever, and doing what he does best each and every morning. He assured me that those other components mean nothing to him...that he would replace them in a heartbeat if I asked him to.

The bad news: Mr. Espresso isn't looking forward to descaling on a regular basis.

No comments: