
This is one of the first lighthouses ever built on the west coast of the United States.
Historical houses have always intrigued me because they are so representative of a time in history when people were more connected with each other, lived within their means without a lot of fluff, and were content, even happy.
It was a time when pot bellied stoves cradled hot tea and coffee any time of the day and horses moved men where they needed to go. A time I can only imagine living in.
A time when a 360 degree view was unspoiled by industrialization. It's still so beautiful to me now.
I can't imagine what it must have looked like for Juan Cabrillo when he first set foot on U.S. soil in 1542. Historians believe he would have landed here near Ballast Point.
The tide pools lie west of the point on the other side of the cliff and are open to the public year round. It's days like this that I feel so privileged just to have access to this majestic playground.
During low tide, these pools provide easy access to the sea anemones that little fingers love to touch.
Line shore crabs abound,
and so do curious children.

It's a wonderful place to admire God's handiwork.
2 comments:
VERY cool pictures and post! I love photos of old lighthouses, but I don't think I've ever actually been to one. I like to visit historic houses in general too. Isn't it amazing how spoiled we've become?
What a lovely view, and what a privilege that this lighthouse remains open for the public to get a glimpse of an earlier day.
I giggled at the "Juan Cabrillo" comment. I'm guessing not many people have heard that name. Growing up in CA, I had several years of California history (alas, no world history!). We visited missions along the coast for field trips. :)
No, Cabrillo is absolutely not a prominent person in our history textbooks at all, but I did find it interesting that he was a Spanish soldier who served in the army of Hernan Cortes (1519), the famous conquistador that we do read about in history who conquered the Aztecs in 1521.
It's only relevant to us because we live here, but it's fun to connect the dots to get to the important people!
I think I'm developing a history addiction and I can blame that one on homeschooling.
Post a Comment