I still remember swallowing hard on that all too familiar cliche that moms with grown up children made a habit of impressing upon me when I was changing poopy diapers between mountains of unfolded laundry; when extra doses of caffeine in the wee hours of the morning became my temporary cure for all those long anticipated evenings filled with restless child syndrome.
"Enjoy them now because they'll be all grown up before you know it."
Goody. All I wanted was to sleep through the night and kick my feet up for an hour or two in seclusion so I could contemplate my very far off future minus the deafening banter of sibling chaos and daily disorganization; just a simple moment or two when I could dream about the means to an end in all of my mommy fantasies for which I'd most assuredly overemphasized the joys of parenting.

I am happy to report that there are some benefits to aging: some of us get a new pair of lenses and the insight to view life with much more clarity. With subtle limitations, we have to look a lot more closely for opportunities because we know that today is precious; and tomorrow, yesterday will be priceless.
They grow up much too fast. I can see that so clearly now.

Oh, the wild joys
of living!
The leaping from
rock up to rock...
How good is life,
the mere living!
How fit to employ
All the heart and the soul
and the senses forever in joy!
ROBERT BROWNING
No comments:
Post a Comment