TEA FOR YOU AND ME

TEA FOR YOU AND ME
THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION - PART II

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Extreme Makeover: Chair Edition

A very dear cyberspace friend of mine recently recovered her dining room chairs. The big difference between hers and mine is that hers were still pretty when she took them apart. She made it look relatively easy on her blog, and we figured that our dad could do anything their dad could do, so we put him to the test, especially since I've become quite embarrassed to offer visitors a seat around our six-year old kitchen table.

Stained, lumpy, deflated cushions are not particularly appealing to the average hiney. I know I'd be wondering what on earth my skin was about to make contact with if I'd been instructed as a guest to sit on this one.

The fact of the matter is, we don't just eat on our chairs (and some of us do that far too well). We also use them for ladders when we can't reach stuff, we sit on them a lot when we do our school work, coloring, drawing, gluing, glittering, sewing, egg coloring (that's really what that stain is), and a zillion other things normal families never do with the furniture in their dining room.

It wasn't a cheap venture by any means...

Fabric/lining for eight chairs: $65.00

Foam cushions: $100.00

New plywood: $20.00

Staples: waaaayyyyyy too many

but they sure are easy on the eyes and my tush loves them, too, after sittin' on straight plywood for the last two years.

1 down and 7 more to go, but I'm already thinking about who I could invite over for breakfast...or lunch... or even dinner.

"Oh, dear? You're doing such a wonderful job on the chairs...is recovering the sofa an option?"

6 comments:

Kristine said...

This post is a RIOT! I can't wait to show Robert! Can I say we considered price as we shopped and I'm quite sure we bought everything for under $20, including foam and replacement fabric. Or will you hurt me if I say that?!

Your chairs look GREAT!!! And cushy too!

Kathleen said...

Okay...give me your arm.

Well, the material we bought is very thick, basically upholstery fabric. My kids crawl all over them with their shoes on, etc. I'm the mom who lets her kids jump up and down on the couch and beds, too, because I never got to do it when I was growing up! So we don't invite anyone to sit down on our living room sofa either!

We could have bought foam cushions for about $3. ea, however, we knew it wouldn't be worth the trouble to redo them unless we bought a commercial foam (restaurants use it on their chairs). With my rugrats...I needed industrial strength!

You can make me feel a little better by telling me you only recovered four chairs instead of eight...or maybe we should just trade children.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Your chairs look great! I want to see the sofa.

De'Etta (SHS)

Kristine said...

Okay, can I giggle at De'Etta leaving the "SHS" clarification? You wouldn't want to mix her up with any other De'Ettas that you know, lol!

:)

Kathleen said...

Oh, don't make her feel bad...she'll never come back to see my new sofa :-)

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Ah - get on with ya- Kristine. LOL

Kathleen, I've given you an award on my blog - not2many.blogspot.com