I feel sorry for all the peahens in the world. They really have no choice but to surrender heart and soul, spellbound by the flagrant, but irresistible dance of the lascivious peacock.Honestly, what chance does any fair maiden have against this lethal weapon?
Thank God I'm not a peahen, because this overly zealous stud wasted no time in trying to seduce me in the back corner lot of the zoo.
I admit that I was completely mesmerized by his stunning beauty and gracefulness and considered the outcome of all those peahens who would helplessly fall prey, like the spider who spins a deadly web, to the alluring and provocative array of his tantalizing feathers. I snapped a few more pictures as he began to turn away, silently applauding his minimal effort to retain some modesty (or so I thought), when I remembered a quote I read by T. Byram Karasu.
"You may find God in the laughter of your children; the grief of a friend; the opening of forsythias after a long winter; the noisy joyfulness of birds and wind; or the quiet testimony of ants and cobwebs. God's altar is everywhere and in everything."
And then I realized rather abruptly that this bird was nowhere near being finished with me as he began to turn himself round and round. In an instant I felt myself being ripped away from the revered words of Karusu only to be plunged into the depths of Shakespeare's love poetry.
"Oh speak again bright angel, for thou art
As glorious to this night, being o'er my head,
As a winged messenger of heaven
Unto the white-upturned wondering eyes
Of mortals that fall back to gaze on him
When he bestrides the lazy-pacing clouds
And sails upon the bosom of the air."
Peahen Translation: My goose is cooked.

2 comments:
GREAT post. Wonderful how you tied in the peacock--with fabulous photos--with the quote and poetry. The really are stunning, aren't they, almost more so from the back, since you're not expecting it . . .
Yes, very stunning from the back! I don't think I've ever seen one so cocky and I don't recall ever being surprised by the color...kind of silvery and glowing.
Post a Comment