TEA FOR YOU AND ME

TEA FOR YOU AND ME
THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION - PART II

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

It Must Have Been An Angel

















Last night was a typical Monday evening. I picked up the older girls from their music class, ran a grocery errand, and finally arrived back home at 7:30p.m. Upon stepping through the front door, everyone was instructed to shower and bathe without delay so that I could try and throw some dinner together by 8:30p.m.

I wasn't in a pleasant mood for a couple of reasons, both of which have become irrelevant at this point and aren't the focus of my musings anyway. I got the little ones out of the tub and proceeded to dry their hair because I hate sending them to bed with wet heads. It makes for a soggy pillow.

As I turned on the switch, I found myself absorbed in the chain of events that had altered my mood when I began to hear my daughter sing under the hum of the dryer. It was a familiar song I grew up with as a child that I've taught all of my children to sing and the melody seemed to drown out some of my negativity:

I've got the joy, joy, joy, joy
Down in my heart,
Down in my heart,
Down in my heart,
I've got the joy, joy, joy, joy
Down in my heart,
Down in my heart to stay.

I listened to her sing a few of the verses noticing on some that she was humming the words. But she sang it so beautifully that I felt compelled to turn off the dryer so that I could help her sing the parts that she couldn't remember.

So with dryer off, I began to sing the verse she left off on when she gave me the most quizzical look. Her expression said it all but she verbalized it for me as well, "What in the heck are you doing?"

I told her I wanted to help her sing the parts she couldn't remember. She looked at me blankly, her response so sincere, "Uhh, Mom...I wasn't singing."

I laughed and told her that I heard her singing...could make out every word, that's how I knew that she didn't know all the words. She responded back to me that she had not chorused a single word, and after a few more minutes of doubting what I knew I had just heard, I believed her.

1 comment:

Kristine said...

:) To say you are blessed barely begins to touch the surface . . .