
I can't help feeling slightly elated about having a front row seat in the private theater of my own front yard to witness the birth of a few new baby birds. A certain pair of finches took a lot of pride in building this comfortable, cozy, and perfectly symmetrical nest, and...being instinctively female, I was tempted to throw in some fluffy white cotton as a housewarming present.
A mama finch will usually lay an egg each day, and this morning there were a total of four in her nest.
Last year I attached a feeder to our kitchen window and we've been able to enjoy a close-up view of the behaviors of these wild birds; specifically how diligent the males are in protecting their mates,
how they'll share the feeder with a golden finch, but become extremely territorial with their own species.

Birds really are incredibly interesting creatures.
Not so close to home I watched for over a half hour as this Ruddy male, outfitted in the finest colors of spring, courted this eager female by swimming circles around her while cocking his plumed tail at an angle and slapping his bill against his puffed-up chest. As he repeatedly chased away every duck that tried to enter his domain, I couldn't help but note the distinct similarities between male ducks and most males in general. Their courtship behavior is so obviously genetic and I suppose it's a necessary gene element for population expansion.
In a final burst of showmanship, the male kicked up the water and flew into the air several times around her. When at last she consented and chose him as her mate, they plunged into the water together. Shortly thereafter, the proud, soon to be mama, excitedly left the water and haphazardly waddled towards her nest where I knew she'd triumphantly deposit the gold that threatened to spill out beneath her bosom.
As she disappeared into the reeds, I could feel my feminine instincts kicking in again. Had I been a bird at that very moment, I would have had an incredible urge to lay an egg...and not just any egg, but a tiny, delicate, oval, blue masterpiece.
1 comment:
Great photos. How fun for ALL of you to see the birds bring their babies to someplace they are obviously so happy with !
Post a Comment