TEA FOR YOU AND ME

TEA FOR YOU AND ME
THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION - PART II

Friday, January 11, 2008

Easily Undisguisable

2 nine inch unbaked pie crusts.

3 cups shredded Swiss cheese (I use sharp cheddar).

8 teaspoons flour. Mix into cheese, spreading evenly between pies.

Pie #1: 1/2 cup diced cooked ham.

Pie #2: 1/2 cup cooked sausage.

Spread one package drained, frozen spinach, over both pies.














My girls wouldn't even look at spinach until a few weeks ago. I'd never made quiche until very recently when I decided to attempt a forced feeding of this green vegetable at our dinner table. Serving it for breakfast was out of the question as my girls would not fancy eating anything this green first thing in the morning.

8 eggs

2 and 1/2 cups of half and half

1/2 teaspoon salt and dry mustard

Beat ingredients. Pour evenly into pies.



On my first attempt, I added a whole box of spinach to each pie and realized that if my plan was to slowly introduce spinach to their palates, I was going to have minimal success with a spinach pie. They ate it, reluctantly, and I feared I'd have to wait another whole year before I could try again.

Bake at 400 degrees for one hour.

They love this stuff! This is one of the easiest transitions I've ever had with a green vegetable. I think I'm on a roll. I'm seriously thinking brussel sprouts right now...


2 comments:

Kristine said...

Have you tried that Spinach Madeline? And have you tried putting a box of squeezed out spinach in with a batch of brownies? :)

Kathy in WA said...

I love spinach! I have two kiddos who will at it happily and three that won't (as well as 1 dh). I've started throwing some into our soups and stews these days. It's working great - everyone eats it up without any comments.

I'm a little nervous about trying your recipe - that is an awful lot of GREEN - but it sounds so delicious.

Are you sure they liked it? My family loves quiche (eggs of any sort) so this may be just the recipe for us. Thanks for sharing!