
Typical reaction from first time users of nylons:
What exactly is the point of wearing these things anyway?
Why do they go up to my rib cage?
Is there SUPPOSE to be a line across my toes?
MEMORABLE CONVERSATIONS
Music starts. Everyone looks for a partner.

Daughter: "Do you want to dance?"
Nervous Boy: "SURE!"
Dancing begins. After a long, awkward silence...
Nervous Boy: "You may be surprised to know this, but I'm very interested in sharks."
Daughter (flabbergasted): "Ohhh---------Well...I like music."
Nervous Boy: "The reason I'm so interested in sharks is because my great grandfather was from Ireland and he found a shark tooth when he was walking on the beach and I've been fascinated with sharks ever since."
Daughter: "Ohhh---------that's cool. I've always wanted to go to Ireland. I think I even have some Irish in me."
Music stops. Daughter QUICKLY searches for a different partner for the elimination dance and finds New Boy.
Daughter: "Do you want to dance?"
New Boy (very hesitant): "Sure."
After dancing forever, Daughter and New Boy are the last couple left on the floor and are called to the front to claim the prize of their choice.
Indecisive New Boy: "What do you want?"
Daughter: "I don't care, just hurry and pick something so we can go back to our seats."
Indecisive New Boy: "Ummm, Uhhhhh..." (and finally grabs something after what seems like an eternity)
Instructor: "The gentleman is now going to tell us why he chose a package of Skittles and Starbursts."

Daughter (trying to keep a straight face)
Embarrassed, Indecisive, New Boy: "Uhhh, we picked the candy, because...uhh (long pause), I picked it."
ETIQUETTE:

Instructor: "You cannot bite your cookies. You must break off bite size pieces and bring them up to your mouth with your fingers. Gentlemen, after refreshments, you are responsible for the disposal of any trash."
Daughter (holding trash and waiting for Slow Boy to respond):
Slow Boy (gets up and throws his own trash away):
Daughter (holding empty punch cup): "Uhhh...I don't think I'm suppose to throw this away."
Slow Boy (grabs cup, but leaves without taking her dirty napkin):
Daughter (crumples napkin in her hand and walks with Slow Boy across the room, spying the trash can two feet away but is fearful she'll get caught tossing her trash and whispers to the girl behind her): "Hey, can you throw this away for me?"
Girl's Partner (eyes Daughter like she's trying to deliberately break the rules): "Here, I'll take that."
4 comments:
Oh my! What an evening. Love the way you captured some of the dialog and, of course, the pictures are gorgeous!
How did you get involved in a cotillion? Were you able to attend as well?
The Cotillion is put on by a Christian organization and one of the parents from the basketball team invited my daughters to the guest session.
They actually had a wonderful time...not sure if we can budget that cost for next year...maybe? It's still very much up in the air.
I did not attend. Parents can sit in if they volunteer to do something, but you cannot photograph the children; I think I would have been in the way!
All right. Do the girls know that the boys will grow up to be men who are usually just as awkward?
But if they're lucky, at least they'll never have to wear hose again.
They looked beautiful, I think they were brave to go to this dance (any dance!), and I thank them for allowing you to share with us!
The cool thing about this group is that the boys and girls usually sign up for 3-4 years in this program, learning all about what to do and what not to do, but especially the young men learn how young ladies should be treated. It's actually a pretty sweet deal!
Post a Comment