TEA FOR YOU AND ME

TEA FOR YOU AND ME
THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION - PART II

Friday, January 26, 2007

Metamorphosis Revisited

These pictures were taken five days after our twenty-four hour scare with the tadpole. These little guys had begun to grow their hind legs but still looked a lot like fish. Their forelegs simply popped right out of their skin within a matter of hours...really amazing stuff to see up close. And six days after that, their long tails disappeared (within a day or two) and their skin was beginning to turn a brilliant shade of green.


It took a total of 66 days for the first frog to complete the cycle.

The question remains: what do I do now with five very cute, adorable, BUT hungry amphibians that cannot be released into the local pond for a taste of the real world, and that will eventually cost me a fortune to sustain their lives (roughly thirty five gourmet cricket dinners each day from the local pet store)?

Answer:

FROG LEGS SAUCE PIQUANT

Serves: 8-10
1 cup cooking oil
1 cup flour
4 onions, chopped
1 small whole garlic, minced
1/2 stalk celery, chopped
1 or 2 green hot peppers, minced
2 cans whole tomatoes (20 ounces each)
1 can Ro-tel tomatoes (10 ounces)
12 medium size frog legs
1 cup water
Cooked white rice


I'm not so sure I like being at the top of the food chain.


Me neither. Frogs are friends...not food.

4 comments:

Kristine said...

LOL, Kathleen, both of my children are reading this in shocked disbelief! "Is it true? Is it TRUE?" Holly and I have seen the frog legs at Walmart. They are so yukky and sad looking, skinned, looking like little pants. All I can think of is that old cartoon with the frogs leaving the restaurant's back door in wheelchairs because they no longer have their legs!

(Holly's mumbling, "That's sick.")

Kathleen said...

Are you kidding? My family would call child protective services and have me arrested for child abuse if I ever tried to attempt such a thing.

Wishful thinking on my part :-)

Kristine said...

We had tadpoles a few years ago and put them in our backyard pond. A little garter snake discovered what a haven this was, and even though we caught him and took him to a big park pond close by, all of our little frogs were GONE! Gulp, gulp!

Kathleen said...

Can I put my frogs in your pond? We wouldn't even need the snake. It would just be an accidental freezing. (grin)