TEA FOR YOU AND ME

TEA FOR YOU AND ME
THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION - PART II

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

I Know His Voice











I come here to listen. It is not long enough. Three hours a week is not nearly enough time to visit with my Father. How I long to come here more often, content to cast the day aside to spend more time at His feet. If only I had more time. More of this quiet to understand what it is He wants from me each day.

What do you want from me today? What am I to do with this day, Father God?

A plea from behind me breaks the silence. "I want biscuits, Mommy. You haven't made biscuits in so long. When are you going to make them again?"

Biscuits are nowhere in the vicinity of my thoughts for this day, but I silently wonder why this daughter of mine has been engrossed all week in a fluffy memory of melted butter and orange honey. I tell her we're just too busy this morning to bake, and I wait expectantly for the usual disappointing frown that spreads rapidly across this particular child's face. She rides along side me with not another word. A thought crosses my mind that missed opportunities don't always come around again.

"I want you to bake biscuits."



I listen more intently now. He does not have to say it twice. I understand that it is what she needs from me today. I have the power to grant her this very small but very hoped for request, and her delight brings about more than enough reward for me.

"I also want you to send a bag of those chocolate-chip cookies you made last night to patch up that little misunderstanding you had with your neighbor last week."

"When he has brought out all his own [sheep], he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice."

John 10:4

1 comment:

Kristine said...

Great post (as usual).

Sometimes I think I am so busy reading blogs about how to be a good mom that I don't have time to actually BE one, you know?

(True confessions)