TEA FOR YOU AND ME

TEA FOR YOU AND ME
THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION - PART II

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Home Streeeeetch
















I read Wayne Bryan's book this past weekend, Raising Your Child to be a Champion in Athletics, Arts, and Academics. It was a quick read and though the author focuses primarily on his sons' accomplishments in tennis, he does a wonderful job validating much of what I already believe in my heart with regard to the significance of getting children motivated and excited about sports, music, writing, theater and art.


And though the title suggests another "me, me, me" book that seems to be written more for upper middle class families (since it often costs a fair amount of money to give a child instruction in sports and music, etc.), I found it inspiring as I continue to encourage my own children to develop strengths in these areas. He also emphasizes the importance of community involvement, giving back, and how parents can create "Side Doors" for their children by exposing them to outside events as a motivator to encourage them to excel in an activity they enjoy.


Uh, huh...I already knew in my heart that it was important to take my daughters to 19 of the girls and boys high school varsity basketball games this season (and we did it in just over four weeks). Okay, well, maybe I took the "Front Door" this time since I chose this option over our regular load of school activities being as my oldest daughter will have a chance to try out for the high school, home school basketball team next season, and if she makes it, she'll compete in CIF (California Interscholastic Federation). The girls' team is currently seeded #1 in the playoffs which are being scheduled in the next couple weeks (we'll take that Side Door as well). It's a very exciting opportunity for these young ladies considering they might just make it to the state championships this year.


My daughter doesn't get that kind of adrenaline rush in academics.


Even when she gets an A +++ on her biology lab dissection.


It's just not the same! How can crayfish guts compare to a varsity game, especially when you've got a huge bag of your mom's home-made chocolate chip cookies to pass around (and make friends and influence people), and hang out with all the other kids? Even the youngest catch a glimpse of the possibilities and the camaraderie that develops between players.


Future Girls' Varsity Team in Progress


Making it FUN. This is the author's formula for success. Can you guess what we've been up to this week?


LOTS of that FUN stuff. The second game for the seventh grade division girls' basketball team (aka, their big sister's team) happens to be tomorrow, which of course, is Valentine's Day.


But that's tomorrow's post. Besides, we've got to get ready to go to basketball practice and then head straight over to games #20 and #21 this afternoon, and the "picture lady" (that's my new name) can't be late.

1 comment:

Kristine said...

1. Like 90% of the books I search for at my library, this one is not there.

2. Is that science or cooking? I went to a big southern style crawfish
boil. Once. I couldn't peel the things and my boyfriend at the time would only do two for me. So I just drooled the whole time.

3. LOVE the arty Valentine stuff!

4. Oh, have you been BUSY!!!